Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Ruffle Bag

I was looking through blogs the other day and came across this bag here: (It was made by Frundy)

I immediately wanted to make one like it. And on the plus side I needed a new bag for Sunday's, because I am trying to slowing get rid of the diaper bag. This looked like the prefect feminine bag.

It was super easy to make. I cut my bag out (30 in x 14 in) and then just sewed the sides together, and made that little triangle thing in the corner to give the bag width. I then sewed the top together with handles. However, I did not think that one totally through, because when I finished the bag I went back and made the handles a little bit longer. (finished they are 30 in)

I manually made each ruffle because the fabric I choose was canvas and I did not have a ruffler. But it worked so great! I will always do ruffles this way when working with heavy weight fabric. I made 5 ruffles from a fabric strips that were 4 in x 60 in. I hemmed each side of the ruffle before sewing it onto the bag. After each ruffle I measured 3.5 inches from the underside and marked it all around so that my next ruffle would be straight.
When I was finished I added this flower to the bag - remember this from the upcycled pillow? It was not surviving on the pillow and stands a better chance on here. When I showed the bag to Conan he said it looked like a skirt, and that it was okay looking. But when I used it this past Sunday he said that it went perfect for a little bit dressier bag.

I am starting a link party on Fridays called FANTASTIC FRIDAY. It will begin on the first friday of the year, January 7th. So remember that date and come and link up your fantastic creations!

Linking up to: Creative Itch, Someday Crafts, Sugar and Dots, Sew Much Ado. Made by You Monday, Crazy Domestic, Today's Creative Blog, Hope Studios, Little Eme.
Pin It! \

8 comments:

  1. I love your bag. I plan on making a ton of those to sell at a show I do in May. Figure it will do well as mom day gifts or even cool beach bags..thanks for sharing and can't wait to link up to your new party..
    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'm so going to make this. I just got a new Bible and was thinking I needed to make a little bag for it and was going to do something plain jane but nope. Gonna give it ruffles. Thanks for the idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I don't even have words....just <3 <3 <3 !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! And using canvas is a great idea. It's so sturdy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is so pretty!! I love it!
    I'd love it if you linked this up to my linky party! :)
    littleeme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this!! So pretty. I just looked a similar leather bag at Ross today. Yours is nicer! I may have to copy this and bonus- I got a ruffler foot for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bag is sooo cute! I want to make one! I love the flower you put on yours with the turquoise center.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cute!!! I love ruffles. :) Thank you so much for linking up last week! I hope you'll stop by again today. I'll be doing a featured post very soon...

    LittleEme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...