Thursday, March 10, 2011

DIY Cupcake Stand

Do you ever have a picture in your head of what your craft should look like when it is done? I usually do, and sometimes I actually get close to that picture, and then there are other times where I  . . . well fail is the best word to put there.
This project is a shining example of this. I am actually going to show you my craft failure - so please be nice. This plate here was destined to be a super cute and fun cupcake stand. I had a matching one but smaller that I was going to use for the top.
Well I was baking it at the lowest temperature my oven would take so as to set the paint, and um let's just say that life intervened, or I forgot, got distracted, whatever. And now these super cute plates that I was really excited about looked like this one above - not so cute and fun anymore.
 
 I was really bummed out about this, but they were a total loss so in the trash they went. However, I was still going to do this project because I had already told my craft group that this is what we were going to do. So on to Target . . . again. This time i was wise and just bought the plates that already had a design on them. I really wanted to make this project as idiot proof as I could.

If you want to make one of these blue cupcake stands - not the burnt looking one (but I can tell you how to make one like that if you really want) what you need is:
2 plates - of different sizes  - target is where these beauties came from.(I think they look better this way, but you can use the same size)

Candle stick - dollar store
Some awesome glue E600 works good here.
light sand paper.
I sanded the bottom and middle of the plates I was going to use and then used my E6000 glue to attach my dollar store candle stick to them. And like 10 minutes later I had a beautiful blue cake stand!

I still sometimes wish that the other one had turned out, but I am not yet brave enough to try it again.

And besides this one works, so why mess with what is working?! Have any of  you had such a bad failure? please let me know that I am not the only one out there that does things like this!
Pin It! \

11 comments:

  1. I've had horrible failures in the past, recently even. I might even blog about it next week.
    The blue one is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your first design would have been GREAT... if not for the burnt part lol. However I do like the blue one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we've all failed countless times but you're the only one brave enough to share! haha. I love how your cake stand turned out with the decorative plates!

    I keep finding myself back at your blog with all your amazing ideas! Thanks for sharing!
    shannonsews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry that the first attempt didn't turn out but the blue cupcake stand is very pretty and I love that it was so easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Over from tatertots & jello. We all have those moments. I give you so much credit for blogging about it. I think the blue one is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! Thanks for sharing a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it. I have a cake stand that I never use because it doesn't have a cover, so I am determined to turn it into a cupcake stand!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw these plates at Target this weekend and just drooled. I love navy and white together. I didn't buy any, but they look adorable. Great idea to use them for a stand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had so many fail moments I can't even say! But it's always a great opportunity to learn something new and make it work! I love that you shared all the details...your new cupcake stand looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sooo...your "fail" is not funny...but your candor in describing it is hilarious :) Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who messes up my crafts! Your stand turned out really great :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...