Wednesday, March 9, 2011

No Sew Scarf

Okay, so I have some really awesome friends. The other day I was checking my email and my friend had sent me a link to make these scarves out of old t-shirts. She said that she thought I would like this. Umm, yep I loved it! I made one up yesterday. The link she sent can be found here. I also saw that Jessica from My World Made by Hand, just guest posted about this.
But these are super duper easy and here is my simple tutorial for them.

First off you start with a simple t-shirt. Conan had cleaned out his closet a few months back and had these t-shirts that he did not really care for, yet he had never worn. So I saved them thinking that they would be good for something  - and they were perfect for this project. This t-shirt is size XXL. (And do you see Ramon - from CARS in the corner of the picture? Thing #4 kept trying to sneak him into every picture I took.)
From this I used a paper plate and cut out circles - as many as I could get. I think that I got about 12. I did not cut any that had the design print on them, because I did not want that on my scarf.
From those circles I cut a spiral out of them. I did not get a picture of this, but I hope you get the idea. You cut your spiral about 2 inches in diameter until you get to the center. Here they are laying out flat.

I then took these and stretched them out a little bit to give them the ruffle look. Thing #4 thought this was great fun. After I stretched them out I glued them together with some fabric glue on one end. I glued two stacks of six together. I then took the 2 stacks and glued them together so that they both went different ways - kind of like a big huge bow tie. I really should have got a better picture of this. I am sorry if it is confusing.
I then wrapped a little piece of leftover fabric around the spot where I glued the 2 pieces. And that is pretty much it! Awesome huh?! You place this piece in the picture above in the back so that it is hiding under your hair.
 However, when I put this on, I decided to try wrapping it around my neck once and it was still super long and then it kept me a little bit warmer since the sun has not come out for 2 days here. But now I did not have to worry about that piece showing.
Here is what the end pieces look like. I love this scarf. I think it would be so much fun to make in bright colors to wear this spring! Conan was even impressed that I made this out of one of his old t-shirts.

I also made a new yellow flower to go with this olive green scarf. I had some leftover fabric from the bridesmaid dresses and so I used it and burned the edges, but instead of stacking them together like I usually do I folded them to create the puff flower. I really like the way it turned out.
 
And I found these great clip and pins together - they sure make these flowers a lot nicer to give as gifts, and to use for myself!

This craft cost me nothing, I had everything I needed to make it right here at my house! Isn't that the best! So go through your closet or your significant others and grab a few t-shirts or go and buy one, they are not too much, and you can make one of these for yourself!

Linking up to the parties in my tab at the top.
Pin It! \

31 comments:

  1. Looks great. I might have to try and make one of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! It's super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. Aren't these fun to make? I've been making them for years.

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Is is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! I love how the scarf hangs! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The scarf is adorable! I love it. Great blog. Found you on 1 month to win!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute and how creative. Love projects where I don't have to sew!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so pretty!! Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really clever- I am all about the no-sew lol!

    Visiting today from Thrilling Thursday at Paisley Passions!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really cute and I love the yellow flower with the green scarf! Nice job.
    xoxo,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Suppper DOOPER CUTE!
    Visiting from night owl crafting.
    www.lifewithoutwhiteout.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok...I LOVE this...and I have plenty of T's around the house!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's beautiful.

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is so great!
    abranconier.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute! Love how circles can be so versatile!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my! This is so cute. My sister would love one of these. Maybe I will make her one for her birthday! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. AWESOME IDEA! I think I can do that! Thank you for sharing on craft o maniac! www.project-purple.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. jen, i saw this link at Embellishing Life, and had one made for myself within twenty minutes. I blogged about it, and linked back to you for the tutorial.

    www.themagicofordinarythings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this scarf! Thanks for linking up at Ten Buck Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. this will be happening...sometime very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this! I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm visiting from Elle Belle Creative...I love this, and I already love working with t-shirt material so it's perfect! And your flower pin is so pretty! Thank you for sharing :)

    Leighann @ http://beadsbuttonsbubbles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loooove this scarf! I can't wait to make one for myself!!!! Thanks for a great tutorial :)

    I would love it if you would come link this up at my linky party..."20 Below Thursday"...which spotlights projects like this that are cute AND thrifty :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love this! I'm featuring you tomorrow! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. what about the t-shirt leaving little fraying pieces on your clothes? Has that been a problem for you?
    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  26. cute! love the flower too! Thanks for linking up to Craft Couture Monday

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for linking up! I loved this so much I featured it as one of my favorites from last week! Email me to get the html code of my "I've been featured" button!

    ReplyDelete
  28. digging the new sew!

    Feel free to stop by and link up to my Make & Share 1st edition Fridays if you like.

    ~ Christy

    ReplyDelete
  29. I totally love this. It is beautiful. I have seen a lot of these t-shirt scarves on the web and this is one of my faves. Thanks.
    Tess

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...