Saturday, February 12, 2011

Guest Blogger - Fun Crayons

Today I have a special treat for all of you. I have my first guest blogger!! And she is awesome if I say so myself. ;) (But sisters are biased). But here is more about her and her blog and her craft she is sharing . . .

I am SO EXCITED to be here guest posting here at Iron Violet Designs.   My name is Krystal, and I write a little blog called Recipes Of A Cheapskate.  Jen, the mastermind behind Iron Violet Designs, is my older sister!!  Which makes me even MORE excited to be posting here.  That, and I have a recipe blog, I don't get to share crafts with othesr very often.

In my blogging efforts,  I have the support of my dear husband, Captain Jax, and two little kidlets--K-girl, who just turned 3, and Baby M, who is almost 11 months.  They put up with me trying new things in the kitchen, and usually eat what I make.  As long as there's no onions (or beans, or squash, or cauliflower. . .)!!  You'll occasionally see me post things regarding Baby M, my sweet  preemie boy who was born 11 weeks early last year.


He's 100% tube-fed, and I'm finding it's very difficult being a mom who loves to cook, having a baby who doesn't know how to eat.

On my blog, you can find all sorts of good recipes, that aren't going to break the bank.  I don't like spending an arm and a leg at the grocery store (who does?) so I often have recipes that use ingredients that I can store on my shelves, grow in my garden, or freeze.  I love being able to freeze a good meal for a busy day!!


I have some yummy appetizers you can cook up just in time for your next party!


And some grilled recipes for when BBQ season kicks off!


And if you're a breakfast person, I have a lot of recipes using a Master Pancake Mix.  it's like a Bisquick mix, only better :)

As well as your every day dinners when you just need to pull stuff out of your fridge and pantry.

This craft I'm going to share with you, was so much fun to make, and so easy!  I even had K-girl in there helping me.  She LOVED it.

Start off with 1-2 boxes of crayons.  I used two boxes, that I bought for like 10cents at a back-to-school sale.  You could also use the leftover broken crayons from your kids you have lying around!  Peel the papers off the crayons, and break them into small pieces.  Since I was using 2 boxes, I had two crayons of each color.


Place the broken crayons into your silicone mold of choice.  You can mix them up and have rainbow crayons, or match similar colors up.  The idea of rainbow crayons does NOT appeal to me visually--so I placed the two matching crayons in each mold.  They fit perfectly!


Then you get to throw them in your oven for a little while!  After about 10 minutes you want to stir them up.


 K-girl was anxiously awaiting her chance to stir. I couldn't keep her out of the toothpicks, she was having so much fun helping me!


Use a toothpick, or skewer, something you can just toss.  Just stir each one a little bit, to help get the lumps moved around so everything will melt.  Stick them back in the oven for a few minutes, then stir again.  Keep doing that until everything's melted.


Let the crayons harden, then pop them out of the mold and give them away!  We gave this to K-girl's cousin, who was having a birthday that week.


HOMEMADE CRAYONS
From: http://recipesofacheapskate.blogspot.com
Posted at: http://ironviolietdesigns.blogspot.com
  • 1-2 boxes crayons
  • silicone mold
  • toothpicks for stirring
Preheat oven to 300degs.  Peel the crayons, and then break them into small pieces, and place in the mold.  Place the mold on a tray, so it rests on a flat surface while it's in the oven.  Melt the crayons in the oven for about 10 minutes, the stir with a toothpick.  Stick them back in the oven, taking them out to stir every few minutes, until they're completely melted.  Let them sit until they're hardened, and then pop out of the mold!


I also wanted to share with you my weekly link-up called Saturday's Party that EVERYONE is invited to come LINK UP every week with your party ideas!!  I don't care if it's crafts, decor, gift ideas, or food, ANYTHING related to parties is welcome!!

Thanks so much for letting me be a Guest Blogger Jen!!  It was lots of fun to create something special for your readers.  Come on by and visit Recipes Of A Cheapskate!  

Thanks for posting here today Krystal - and you all should check out her blog, she is a great cook and throws awesome parties! Enjoy your Saturday!
Pin It! \

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...