Thursday, January 13, 2011

PB Candles

Everyone loves a good PB knockoff -myself included. I saw these candles in the last catalog and immediately fell in love with them. My love decreased when I saw the price. I saw them done here with modge podge, and I tried it like that, but I was not completely happy with them. As I continually thought about these all day long I remembered a way I used to decorate candles with stamps in my Stampin' Up days. I thought that I would give it a try. Here is s picture of theirs.
And it worked beautifully. I loved it so much that I showed all the gals at my craft group how to make them. And they loved it almost as much as I did. They also loved how easy it was.

 Here is the simple instructions: And thanks to my friend for letting me take pictures of her making her candle.

We copied some music onto tissue paper and then trimmed it so that it was a perfect fit. I did not get any pictures of this step. The best way to do this is to cut your tissue paper to be the same size as your printer paper and then tape it to a piece of printer paper. Then you print your music on it. It does take a little bit of patience for this step, I had a couple of paper jams.

We used a tiny piece of tape to hold the tissue paper on. Then we took some wax paper and wrapped it over the tissue paper on the candle. You have to make sure that this is tight - it is very important to how well your candle will turn out.

Then you take your heat source - I used my embossing gun, and slowly apply the heat to the wax. You will be able to see when the tissue paper adheres to the candle it will change colors. The wax paper helps the tissue paper grab onto the candle. You can see in the picture where it is changing. But notice how she let go of the paper and there is a little bubble in the wax paper, we had to go back and try and fix that later, because it made a funny bump in her candle.


When you are done adhering all your tissue paper - be sure and remove the tiny piece of tape before you completely finish  - you slowly pull off the wax paper to reveal your new candle. We decided the a dark candle was probably not the best way to go with this.
 
As you could still see where the tissue paper was. We did this on a cream and a white candle and it blended in perfectly. The cream one was my favorite, it was very vintage looking.


Above are two of the ones made at my craft group. Don't you just love that cream one?!


Here are the white ones that I made. I have them displayed on a little shelf above my piano.


Here are two of the differences in the candles that really stood out to me. I did not like how when I painted the tissue paper with modge podge you could still see where it overlapped. (granted on my first one I just grabbed a piece of music and made this - I think it was to busy and so I used easier music for my later ones.) One my second ones you could not even see where they over lapped.


But I still do like the first candle (image on the top), I just display it on a higher shelf so that I don't have to see all the things that I did wrong with it. I will definitely be making more of these! Also later next week I will have some up in my etsy shop (ironvioletdesigns).

You can also do this with just about anything stamped onto tissue paper. If you are doing a small image just be sure and cut very close to the edge so eliminate extra paper that could show.

Don't forget that tomorrow is our second FANTASTIC FRIDAY! Be sure and come and link up all your great creations and see what everyone else has been working on.

Linking up to: Someday crafts, Sugar and Dots, Sew much ado, Somewhat Simple, House of Hepworths, Shabby Chic Cottage, Paper Issues, Too Cute Tuesday, Creation Corner, Fancy this Friday, Allie makes, Making the World Cuter, Craft-O-Maniac, Embellishing life, Skip to my Lou, Sew Chatty, Crafts keep me Sane, Vintage WannaBee, Tute Yourself Tuesday, Tea Rose Home.

This is also my entry for the Knock it off Contest over at 733.

Pin It! \

10 comments:

  1. this is very cool, I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are so cool! I need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the demo - they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute idea. I can't wait to try this. I posted a link to your project on my blog.

    http://donnas-dayz.blogspot.com/2011/01/fabulous-fridays-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a cute idea. wonder if i could find the sheet music to 'our' song!! what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! Great tutorial!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! I love the way they look! I hope you'll link up again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's cool, i wanna try it . . . so it's only wrapping the chord paper and then heating it?

    Bernie And Phils

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your music note candles.. they are amazing! I had never heard of using tissue paper to decorate candles before. Hope it's okay, I've featured your lovely candles on my new blog.. you can see it here:

    http://frugal-home-design.blogspot.com/2012/02/pretty-diy-decorated-candles.html

    Thank you so much for sharing how you made these...You did a great job!

    P.S.. I am also your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...